Connect your moderator Slack workspace to receive post notifications:
Sign in with Slack

PCA

Hello, I would have two questions about the lecture on PCA.

• First of all, I'm not sure to understand the last part of the last proof of the lecture. Specifically, I don't understand how we go from \(A_{22}\) to \(\Sigma_{22}\) (last page of the proof), if you could explain it in another way or give more details, it would be great.
  • For the same lecture, at the end of the PCA and Decorrelation chapter, there are two questions:
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    I'm not sure to understand what should be the answer to these questions. Could you give more details and the answers about them ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Alessio

Hi Alessio,

Let me first answer your second question:

• The empirical covariance of the data sample \(X\) would be (up to scaling) \(X X^\top\). If we write \(X= U S V^\top\), this means that the covariance would look like \(X X^\top = U S^2 U^\top\). In expectation, \(U\) would thus correspond to the ’principal directions‘ of the distribution, \(Q\).
  • If the eigenvectors of the covariance \(K\) are not unique, there are two corresponding eigenvectors \(q_i, q_j\) for which \(K q_i = \lambda q_i, \, K q_j = \lambda q_j, \) and any combination \(q' = \alpha q_i + (1-\alpha) q_j\) of them also has the property \(K q = \lambda q\). In this case, you can see that the eigenvectors are not uniquely defined.

Thanks a lot for your answer to my second questions it makes sense now !

Hi, does someone have any update for the first question of the second point ?

About your first question, could you point to the precise lines of the proof that you find confusing? I'll try to help.

@thijs said:
About your first question, could you point to the precise lines of the proof that you find confusing? I'll try to help.

It is this part of the proof that I do not understand.

Screenshot_1 (1).jpg

Thank you for your help

@alessio5, can you point to a particular argument / sentence where you stop following?

@thijs and @Alesso, I think there is a typo in the lecture notes. It should be

\(diag(I, U_{22}^\top) \hat U^\top X \hat V diag(I,V_{22}) = diag(\hat \Sigma, \Sigma_{22}).\)

we should look into this (and correct me if i was wrong.)

@thijs said:
@alessio5, can you point to a particular argument / sentence where you stop following?

I think I don't understand why we can say that this is a SVD of X and thus I can't understand the reasoning from that point.
Thanks !

Page 1 of 1

Add comment

Post as Anonymous Dont send out notification