Connect your moderator Slack workspace to receive post notifications:
Sign in with Slack

MAE subgradient index i

Why is there an \(i\) here (in \( \left(x_{n}\right)_{\boldsymbol{i}} \) ) and there is no sigma with \(i\)?

$$\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}(\boldsymbol{w})}{\partial w_{i}}=\frac{1}{N} \sum_{n=1}^{N}-\left(x_{n}\right)_{i} \operatorname{sign}\left(y_{n}-\boldsymbol{x}_{n}^{\top} \boldsymbol{w}\right)$$

source: https://github.com/epfml/ML_course/blob/master/labs/ex02/solution-partial/solutions-theory-questions.pdf

Where can I find a more detailed solution?

Why is there an \(i\) here (in \( \left(x_{n}\right)_{\boldsymbol{i}} \) )

\( \left(x_{n}\right)_{\boldsymbol{i}} \) denotes: sample \(n\), element \(i\). Note that in this case, \(w\) and \(x\) have the same number of elements. It might have been clearer if \(x\) was in bold font like this:

$$\frac{\partial \mathcal{L}(\boldsymbol{w})}{\partial w_{i}}=\frac{1}{N} \sum_{n=1}^{N}-\left(\boldsymbol{x}_{n}\right)_{i} \operatorname{sign}\left(y_{n}-\boldsymbol{x}_{n}^{\top} \boldsymbol{w}\right)$$

and there is no sigma with \(i\)?

See the left hand side of the equation: the gradient of the loss \(\mathcal{L}\) is taken with respect to a single parameter \(w_i\) from the parameter vector \(\mathbf{w}\). This single parameter is obtained by indexing \(\boldsymbol{w}\) with \(i\).

Page 1 of 1

Add comment

Post as Anonymous Dont send out notification