Connect your moderator Slack workspace to receive post notifications:
Sign in with Slack

Q45 and Q46 exam 2020

Hello,

Can you give more detail of how we go from the first line to the second in the correction of Q45 please? I do not understand why we sum over n because phi(x)_T is of size 1xH and Phi_T*w_i is of size Hx1 so I would have summed over h…?
And for the Q46, why we need to find the N principal components of K? We just need wi and pi so we just need the eigen values and the eigen vectors of K. Maybe I don't understand really the definition of principal components…
Thank you for your help!
Screenshot 2022-01-12 at 09.27.12.jpg

Top comment

Hi, note that the sum here is taken over the sum of all the datapoints \(x_j\), whose number is exactly n.

matrix \(K\) has shape \(n\times n\) - see solution of Q42. Thus every its eigenvector has shape \(R^n\). (see defenitios of eigenvector: to be able to multiply \(K w\) shapes should match). \((w_i)_j\) corresponds to the j-th coordinate of the vector \(w_i \).

index i corresponds to one of the eigenvectors, and i varies between 1 and K (but we don't sum over index i here).

up.

Top comment

Hi, note that the sum here is taken over the sum of all the datapoints \(x_j\), whose number is exactly n.

matrix \(K\) has shape \(n\times n\) - see solution of Q42. Thus every its eigenvector has shape \(R^n\). (see defenitios of eigenvector: to be able to multiply \(K w\) shapes should match). \((w_i)_j\) corresponds to the j-th coordinate of the vector \(w_i \).

index i corresponds to one of the eigenvectors, and i varies between 1 and K (but we don't sum over index i here).

Add comment

Post as Anonymous Dont send out notification